Monday, November 30, 2015

Scratch Game Design



In our most recent project we constructed our own games! I wanted everything to be paced smoothly and correctly so I had to do a lot of research to make that happen. The goal of the game is to see how many points out of 12 you can get in the amount of 60 seconds. For every 5 seconds you stay away from the vampire mouse thing you win a point. I tried to make this somewhat simple so the the viewers of my first game could understand it better also because it was my first time making a game.

My chase game was a smoothly paced game, the sprites move in an evenly fashion and don't stutter when moving. The chase game that I made also switches backgrounds every ten seconds, I wanted the game to switch backgrounds every once in a while so that the player wouldn't get bored. Another thing my game features is that  the sprites both say something at the beginning of the game to kind of give you a heads up that the game is going to start.

I believe that my best code in my chase game was making the backgrounds change at a certain time, I had to do thorough research to get this code and it's my longest line of code. My biggest bug fix when making my chase game was making the sprites move smoothly, at first i was having a hard time getting the sprites to move right and left. I finally found a way to make them move and then I had to make them run smoothly.

11 comments:

  1. I like how your starfish is paced, it also moves very smoothly. I think you should add more enemies to each level to make the game more of a challenge. Getting chased by one thing isn't that fun. I really like how every 10 seconds the background changes to like a new level. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the speed of your starfish and how smoothly it runs. Maybe, since there is nothing else to critique, you should add more levels that get harder and harder! Other than that, I also loved the little mouse looking character you created. It was cute. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome platform game! I really like how you had added a vortex and had stars in the background to give it a spacey theme. What you might want to adjust is how you win. I was able to reach the vortex, but after that the sprite get's stuck in the corner and can't move. What I did like though, is how the platforms slided across the screen, it added a really nice effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how there is a space type theme, with the alien, portal and background. I don't know if there is a way to win, because you can't move backwards. I also like how the platforms move toward you, but you can still run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you used gliding platforms! That made for a very interesting game. One thing I think you could improve on is the fact that you can only go one way, and that's to the right. So, I can't go back once I go to the right side of the screen and get the portal. I love how you made a theme to your game, I really like the space theme!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your game I enjoyed the colorfulness and vibrancy that you put into your platform game. I think that maybe you should add a left key button so that you can move left if you accidentally move right a little too much you can do that by adding the "When Flag clicked" then adding the "forever" underneath that then adding the "if" block and adding the "Key left arrow pressed" in that then add the "change x by -10" under the "if" block. That would be great, haha! I also really like your characters (sorry if this is too much!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool game Alani! I really liked how you used moving steps for your platforms! Although, did you try to maybe forever repeat the platforms moving from side to side? Overall, your game is very interesting, combining space with a adorable Gobo. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the platformer. It was very interesting. The left arrow key did not work, and the game stopped pretty quickly. Try to delay the stop all script by using a wait block, and use the if key left pressed, change x by -5 or something like that. Nice game, and it was fun and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alani! I really enjoyed playing your game! One of the reasons that I liked your game was how original and creative the chasing sprite was. There was only one bug that I noticed about your game and that was when you would change directions while in a turn, the chasing sprite would speed up making it very difficult to turn (hope this link helps: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/66190/). Another thing that I thought was cool about your game was that you put in a lot of different stages to simulate multiple levels. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked the idea of your game it was really unique. Your game had one problem it didn't let me move around. I liked the background of your game it was really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how you took the time to create you own sprite and I like the way you made you background. but you should make the gobo move move slower because I thought he was moving to fast for me to make him get on the platforms. But overall that was a very cool game.

    ReplyDelete